Thursday, July 29, 2010

The missing Maxim article(s) by William Monahan

Bibliographic research is rewarding, though time-consuming, work. Recently, I brainstormed the idea of doing distributed bibliographic research, for which I will require your help! Despite my extensive research efforts, I am still searching for the Maxim article(s) that filmmaker William Monahan supposedly wrote for the men's magazine back in the late 1990s. I've narrowed down the span of years for which Mr. Monahan could possibly have written for Maxim to 1997 and 1998 (in the following years, Mr. Monahan is neither listed on the masthead, nor given a byline in any article). If you own an issue of Maxim that is anywhere in the range of issues 1 (May/June 1997) through to 14 (December 1998), then please help me out with my bibliographic research by letting me know whether or not there are any articles in your issue that are written by Mr. Monahan. If you do find a Maxim article written by Mr. Monahan, then you are a winner! For your diligent work of flipping through your Maxim issue, page by page, and successfully finding a "William Monahan" byline, you will win a lifetime subscription to Maxim magazine, which will even remain with your estate long after you die, so your children and grandchildren will enjoy this guilty pleasure too. Well, no, I can't really offer you such a prize, sorry. I can, however, give you credit for finding the missing William Monahan Maxim articles. Is that something you might be interested in?

Pick a Maxim issue from the list below and help me find the missing William Monahan article(s):

  1. May/June 1997
  2. July/August 1997
  3. September/October 1997
  4. November/December 1997
  5. January/February 1998
  6. March 1998
  7. April 1998
  8. May 1998
  9. June 1998
  10. July/August 1998
  11. September 1998
  12. October 1998
  13. November 1998
  14. December 1998

Report your findings in the comments section below:

6 comments:

  1. Nothing from Septimber 1998, that's all I got from your list. Are you a collector?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! That leaves 13 issues to sift through now.

    I'm not a collector, just a scholar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I was cleaning out a shelf of old magazines and found some old Maxim's and decided to Google this issues and came across your request. I have Jan.Feb, March, April, May, June, July/August, September, October & November '98 issues. I don't have the time today to search the magazines, but hope to do so to help you out. I live in Quebec, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andrew, that would be awesome if you could help me out. There may be a slew of articles written by William Monahan in those Maxim issues, or there may be none. Either way, you could help me to narrow down the field significantly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think he wrote one article, one alone. They completely rewrote him.

    Former magazine employee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Former magazine employee, do you recall which year/month it was that his one Maxim article was published? If you can get a photocopy of his article onto the web that would be excellent! Whether or not Mr. Monahan's Maxim article(s) are interesting or not needs to be determined.

    ReplyDelete